Yesterday was my *gulp* 27th birthday. It was also, Mr. Owen's 2 week birthday! We celebrated with a party at the pediatrician's office. No seriously. It was like a party. Julian, Gabe, Owen, me, the doctor and the doctor's medical student. Like I said, a party! A week ago, we went for a weight check and Owen was still weighing in at 8lbs 3 oz, which was his discharge weight. The doctor said he hoped Owen would be at his birth weight by next week, aka yesterday, and guess what? He was! He was 8 lbs 15 oz! Chunky monkey! He has also grown almost an inch, 22 1/2" already! Holy smokes. No wonder those newborn clothes haven't ever quite fit him right!
So, in honor of my many, many, many blessings, that's what this post is going to be.
27 things that I'm thankful for. One for each year I've been alive.
1. My health. Seriously I feel wonderful for being 2 weeks post-partum. Healing great, sleeping as well as can be expected. I'm just blessed to be extra healthy this time.
2. Barry. I'm not quite sure how I would survive this crazy journey without him.
(The following three are in birth order...)
3. Julian. He is such a sweet and kind kid. I'm so lucky to be his mom. While he does frustrate the bejeezus out of me sometimes, in the next second, he's warmed my heart to the max!
4. Gabriel. Seriously. He made me cry at preschool the other day. It was mommy day, and his teachers had asked him what he likes to do to help mommy. His answer? "Help with baby Owen." I cried. He is the most generous, kind, and sharing 2 year old I've ever met.
5. Owen. Nothing like snuggling a baby fresh from heaven. He is the sweetest little guy ever. I am so smitten. And I'm such a baby hog.
(2 weeks ago, while we were still at the hospital)
6. Cake. It was my birthday, so it only stands to reason I had cake last night! Yum! It was even pink.
7. My house. I know we're only renting, but I love having a feeling of permanence.
8. The Army National Guard.
(and men in uniform...)
9. My family. I've been so blessed to have such wonderful and caring parents. My mom came and stayed with me for 2 1/2 weeks. And my dad came to visit for the weekend. So wonderful to be able to spend time with them, and that they were able to meet and snuggle Owen.
(seriously, how cute is this?)
10. Knitting. It's so nice to have finally found something, some way to channel my creativity. I've tried SO many things, and failed. I'm glad there's something I'm kinda good at. I also love being able to make things for my kids. How cool is that? (Even though Julian refuses to wear anything I make him...grumble, grumble)
11. My sewing machine. Again, I can't SEW, but I can applique. It's fun. And it lets me be creative without too much risk.
12. The Internet, and my online friends. I seriously have been so blessed, online. I'm so lucky to have met such wonderful people on numerous message boards. If you're reading this, you know who you are :D
13. My camera. I'm so happy to have a way to capture life's little moments. It helps I have some cute little subjects to take pictures of.
14. Books. How else could I visit Sweden, or Hogwarts, or The Arena. Seriously. I'm thankful for books and authors, and that I can read whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as my little dictators say it's OK.
15. DMU. I'm so happy that Barry is able to follow his dream, and DMU has made it a reality.
16. Facebook. I know I already said the Internet, but because of facebook, I've been able to get back in touch with tons of friends that I've just lost touch with along the way.
17. Uggs. Best, most comfy shoes ever.
18. Hulu, Netflix Watch Instantly, and My DVR. I love being able to watch my favorite shows when I have time. Especially with a new baby, I can't always stay up late to watch them. Most days I'm ready to crash by 7.
19. My favorite shows. I don't like drama in my real life, but I sure do like it in my tv shows. And hot guys, and girls.
20. Clearance Racks. I'm a sucker for bargains. I love saving money, but don't know, or care to know how to coupon. I'm not into that. I just love clearance racks, and buying my kids cute clothes for little $$ :)
21. A garage. It's wintery. True, we haven't had snow, but I'm so thankful that I can pull my car into the garage, and that I don't have to get my kids piled into the explorer in the elemnts. (At least not while I'm at home.)
22. Cloth Diapers. I've not been so diligent in my cloth usage with Owen as I'd hoped. Partly because he was so squirmy and curly. Partly because Barry has no idea how to use prefolds, but I love not seeing our garbage full of disposable diapers. We've been using cloth exclusively for the past 3 days, and I love that my garbage isn't exploding! (OK I take that back, he did wear one disposable today, when I only left prefolds downstairs with Barry, and I went to take a nap)
23. The gospel. I love it. It fits me perfectly. I'm so thankful to know my Heavenly Father, and to know that he knows me, and loves me. Even though I'm far from perfect.
24. Music. Nothing can change or set a mood like music.
25. My Bed. We recently got a new mattress, and it's glorious. GLORIOUS. I love crawling in there, especially with the hint of winter, and just snuggling in. Love.
26. Wonderful friends. I talked about my online friends, now I'm giving a shout out to my BFFs IRL!
(Some of the besties right here!)
And last but not least...
27. My in-laws! So lucky to have married into such a wonderful family. &hearts
And just so you and I know. This, is what 27 looks like. (PS, why yes, yes I am quite tired.)
I promise my next post will be chock full of pictures of my new baby, and a birth story!