Monday, November 22, 2010

Finally...a birth story!

Sorta graphic. So if this sorta thing isn't your cup o' tea...don't read my friends! :)

Owen Barry’s Birth Story

On Wednesday, November 3rd, I called the hospital that I was supposed to be induced at, the next day. I received the news that I wasn’t on their books, but that I was likely scheduled for induction at the hospital downtown. I cried. A lot. I was told by my doctor the week prior that there were no open inductions until Thursday the 4th. Of course not, because the downtown hospital is much, much busier than the hospital in West Des Moines. We were able to get it switched, so that my induction was going to be at the hospital close to my home, and all was set for me to go in at 7:30 the following morning.

Barry and I woke up at 6:00 and got ready for the day. I showered the night before, and we got dressed, and I ate a piece of toast, since I knew I wouldn’t be eating for a while. We’d told the boys that they were to stay with grandma, and that Baby Owen was going to be born that day. Julian was so excited, and so was Gabe, I think.

We got to the hospital at 7:15, because that’s how we roll, always early. And they got me back to my room super fast, and introduced me to my nurse, and she said she’d be with me until 7, and that we’d have a baby by noon. She was an optimistic one. :) I was the only delivery that day, so it was nice. We got the IV started, and my antibiotic going, and per the doctor on call’s (Doctor P) orders, pitocin started. I was 3 cm dilated and 50-60% effaced (which is less effaced than I was at the doctor’s a week before....strange, I think.) A little while after that, the doctor that was rounding, Doctor M came in, and broke my water. The fluid was clear. I also had a random spike in my blood pressure as the nurse was explaining to Doctor M that I’d had a previous 4th degree tear (don’t google, seriously), and that the nurse had delivered my 2nd baby. So I had to get a PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) blood draw. All was fine with the blood draw, aside from being anemic. Before they broke my water, Dr. M asked if I wanted a c-section, which is standard for people with previous 4th degree tears.

So Barry and I took to the halls, and walked. We walked that circle numerous times. And each time the contractions just wouldn’t get stronger. They kept bumping my pitocin, and nothing would happen. Turns out, my IV was sensitive, and if I had my hand a certain way? It wasn’t giving me any medicine! Once we figured out that, I was able to finally get some contractions going, but they weren’t showing up on the monitor! So I had to get an internal contraction monitor. Luckily, Owen’s heart rate was steady and strong, and we were able to get it easily each and every time. Getting the internal monitor was awful! AWFUL. Barry had gone downstairs to get something to eat, I warned him, “Don’t get something stinky.” And he didn’t. Before they put the monitor in, they noticed that Owen had pooped, there was some meconium in the fluid. They weren’t really worried, it just meant that another person would be in the room when he was born.

Once the monitor was in, (about 2 pm) contractions started getting crazy. I’d opted for no epidural. I did sign the consent form, but never needed it. So, like with Gabe, I stalled out at 4 cm for most of the day. About 5 o’clock, Doctor M called (she was working in the clinic across the street from the hospital) and Doctor P was still downtown delivering some inductions. He was to be on his way as soon as he was finished up downtown. Elkie, my nurse, was too nervous for Doctor M to run errands, so Doctor M came up to the room and hung out until Doctor P could get there. I made very little progress with Dr. M in the room.

When I was contracting, I would repeat to myself, “Everything is going to be ok. This is almost over. Only temporary pain. Everything will be ok.” It really helped to calm myself, and helped me get through the contractions. I would also picture my cute big boys smiling at me, and that also helped me to calm down and not panic with contractions.

Once Dr. P settled in with his Newsweek, I finally made some fast and furious progress. I went from 5-9 pretty quickly, and then, because of Owen’s position, was stuck at 9. I pretty much begged for some IV drugs, which were always an option, and after one dose of Sublimaze, I felt pretty good. ‘Dreamed‘ about yellow balloons, and was able to rest for about 10 minutes before Dr. P decided to see if he could push the cervix away, during a contraction, and I was finally complete! I pushed through one contraction, and Dr. P said, “Next contraction you’ll have a baby!” I totally didn’t believe him, but he was right. Next contraction and Baby Owen was born! As soon as I saw him, I totally melted, and cried. I don’t remember ever crying (happy tears of course) with the other boys. Itw as just such a different experience.

I ended up with a partial 3rd degree tear, he called it a 2 1/2. Owen’s apgar scores were 8 and 9, and the meconium ended up being a non issue. He’d pooped after the water was broken, so he’d not aspirated any into his lungs. Which was a definite blessing.

Owen was born at 6:40 pm. 8 lbs 11.9 oz, and 21 3/4” long. I’m pretty proud of myself for not having an epidural, I had one with both Julian and Gabe. It was an awesome and intense experience. Owen is seriously the sweetest baby, and it’s so amazing how he has been able to fit into a place that I never even knew was empty.


(In this one, you can see how his head is swollen from sitting funny on my cervix)


All cleaned up!


Meeting the biggest brother!


GIANT feet!

Hanging out with mom in the hospital bed.

Squishy Face

Cute Face

Cute, but trouble.

His going home outfit! Loooooove longies on newborns!

Ready to go!


Kaitlyn said...

so sweet! great story and i love the pics. i got a little misty-eyed. <3

Ginger said...

Awesome Christia! Thanks for sharing! He's such a doll, and great job mama for doing it without the epidural!

Shannon said...

yay for your birth story!!! i love it! owen is such a sweet baby... i love his going home outfit! did you make his hat? so happy for you and your family!

Mandy said...

He is adorable!! Love his cute "going home" pants!

Devin & Shalise said...

Love the beanie! You are super strong for not getting an epidural. I screamed for the epidural after my first contraction :) Me and that epidural are best friends for life :) So glad you guys are doing good he is adorable!

Daily Bran said...

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your birth story, he is absolutely adorable....but then again all your boys are oober adorable!