Thursday, January 6, 2011

Three Years

I've been thinking about this post for a while now. Wondering what I could say that would be worthy of this post. I still don't have a clue.

Kristy was and I'm sure is an amazing and generous person. She was truly beautiful both inside and out.

It's funny the things that remind me of her. Or the memories that pop into my mind, ALL THE TIME! Sometimes I'll be looking for a phone number in my phone, and pass by hers. It's still in my phone. And probably always will be.

When I watch Glee, I think to myself, Kristy would LOVE this show. Or Kristy would HATE this song.

When I watch Grey's Anatomy, I often wonder if Kristy would be sad about George leaving. And Izzie.

Now I know. Those are shows. They're nothing important, or life changing. But, I think those are the things I miss the most. The little things.

It's also crazy the things I remember SO clearly from that day three years ago. I remember teaching my class at church, and seeing the Bishop's face in the window of the door. His eyes looked so sad. But he knew, so I'm sure. He was sad.

I remember googling this horrific event, knowing that it had to be some cruel joke, and seeing her van on the front page of KSL.

I remember feeling SO awful that it was her birthday, and I'd totally forgotten. I need to get over that. But to this day? I still feel bad about it.

My wonderful and courageous mother-in-law has asked that today be a day of service. That's what Kristy would have wanted. That's just the kind of person she is. What are YOU going to do to serve today?

Today, I promise to be more like Kristy. Always serving. Kind. Loving. Funny. Outgoing. Giving. Obedient. Always smiling.

Not just for today though. Everyday. But especially today.

2 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

great post. hugs to you and your family. love you!

Debbi said...

Your post is amazing. It brought tears to my eyes, and I never met Kristy...just you, Barry, his mom and Sarah Smylie are my connection. I think she must have been the most amazing person/friend/sister/mom ever!

I love the service day idea! It just so happens I was already planning on taking a dinner to a family in our ward...but I think I'll do it with an even more thankful heart now.
Thanks Christia.